Come Follow Me 2020, Feb 10-16, 2 Nephi 6-10 "O How Great the plan of our God!"
Updated: Feb 12, 2020
Because it is so cute and goes so good with this weeks lesson, I am starting off with Mitzi's idea from comefollowmekid.com
She chose to focus and teach on 2 Nephi 9 where it talks about the "Awful monster."
Here are her instructions:
Monster vs. Christ Activity:
· Ask, “What would happen to us without the Atonement of Jesus Christ?”
· Monster: Show the monster face and explain that Jacob (Nephi’s younger brother) used the words “awful” and “monster” to explain what sin and death would be like if it weren’t for Christ’s Atonement.
· Cut out the face parts and let the kids choose them one at a time to glue onto the monster face. As each is being glued, ask if it sounds like an awful, scary thing. Discuss what it means and how it describes how our lives would be different without Christ’s Atonement.
· Christ: After helping kids realize how scary life without the Atonement sounds, hold up the picture of Christ and discuss how he can save us from these scary things (death and sin).
· Talk about what the word “deliver” means. If you had been captured by this awful monster, what would it look like to be “delivered” from him?
· Read 2 Nephi 9:10-13. Have them hold up both the monster and the Christ pictures. Tell them to listen carefully for the words “escape” and “deliver.” Whenever they hear those words while you read these verses, they can use the pictures to act out Christ chasing the monster away.
I made this like a little book, incase you wanted to laminate it, and attach velcro, so children can do it multiple times.
I also made a bigger version for Primary teachers, and those of you using it for a bigger group of children.
I also very much love what the primary manual teaches about sin and the Atonement.
Come Follow Me- For Primary page 25 "Tell the children a story of a person who fell in to a pit..."
I took the Primary Manual's picture and colored it and made it bigger, for easier teaching.
If you are printing the big one, line up the hole and ladder separately, or it will make you crazy!
Sing together a song about the love of Jesus Christ, such as "I Feel My Savior's Love"
"Invite the children to draw pictures of things that help them know the Savior loves them.
Here is a coloring page that can help with that:
Come Follow Me- For Primary page 26 "How can you encourage the children you teach to "delight" in Righteousness..Read 2 Nephi 9:49 to the children, and help them find and understand what Jacob said that he loves and hates. Share scenarios in which a child makes a good choice or a bad choice..”
Here is a fun hands on activity to help teach that:
Sing a song about the joy that comes from obedience, such as "When We are Helping"
You can print the song Here
Let the children take turns pretending to be a parent asking the other children to do something. Have the other children practice obeying joyfully.
Here is a fun idea:
You can print them Here
Come Follow Me-For Primary page 26 “Display a picture of Jesus next to a picture of a child. Read 2 Nephi 7:1, and explain that when God’s people stop obeying His gospel, it’s like they have ”divorced” Him. Move the picture of the child away from the picture of Jesus to show that when we don’t keep our covenants...we separate ourselves from Heavenly Father and Savior.
Come Follow Me-For Primary page 26 “Ask the children to help you draw a path on the board, and invite them to add some obstacles or Road blocks along the path. Read together 2 Nephi 9:10, and invite the children to label the obstacles on the path with words from this verse that describe obstacles that keep us from returning to God. Then talk about how Jesus Christ overcame these obstacles for us (see Nephi 9:21-23), as you do, invite the children to erase (remove) the obstacles.”
Here are some obstacles you can add to your path.
That's all I've got for you this week. Hope you have a great day!